A respectable name in the domain of education, South Point School, Kolkata was founded in the year 1954 by Satikanta Guha. Starting with only twenty students, the school became soon became one of the most popular schools of not only Kolkata but the entire country. Presently run by the Birla Group, the school operates with the purpose of providing education by encouraging academic excellence and to create ample opportunities for the all-round development of students. The school has separate buildings for the senior and the junior classes located at a convenient distance.
For giving way to the creative expression of its students, the school publishes its own magazine called ‘Ascent’ apart from the newsletter called ‘Pointer’ which acquaints the students about the news of developments, picnics, and records of alumni. The six school houses are named after Rabindranath Tagore, Sister Nivedita, Ashutosh Mukherjee, David Hare, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, and Henry Louis Vivian Derozio. The school gives due importance to extra curricular activities and thus, has facilities for basketball, chess, cricket, darts, rock climbing, table- tennis among many others. The school also gives Yoga training and Karate training to its students. The students are given opportunities to showcase their talent in the Annual Athletic Meet. The Annual Art and Craft Exhibition is one of the main attractions of the school attracting visitors from across the country.
The notable alumni of the school include famous names like Dr. Sanjoy Banerjee, Hon. Secretary, IMA (Indian Medical Association) Bengal State Branch; Antara Dev Sen (Journalist); Nandana Sen (actor), Kunal Basu (author), Rituparno Ghosh (National Film Award-winning filmmaker), Koena Mitra (actor), Aparna Sen (award-winning actor/director), Supriya Chaudhuri (internationally reputed scholar of English literature), Amlan Dasgupta (scholar) and many more.
Some Significant facts about the South Point School, Kolkata
- The school held the Guinness Book of World record for being the “largest educational institute in the world in 1984 till 1992.’
- The South Point School was the first co-educational School in Kolkata.
- South Point High School was the first co-educational School in the city, to be affiliated to the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education
- The school remains India’s only school to have as many as 13500 students studying in its premises in shifts.
- The renowned Bengali film and theatre actor, Utpal Dutta, taught at South Point School, at one time.
- The school has an active Facebook page which keeps the students, parents, ex-students posted about the current happenings of the school with the help of engaging pictures and posters. The page has over 7500 ‘likes’ as of now.